Written successful state and federal grants to:
- US Housing and Urban Development (Continuum of Care; YouthBuild; Housing Counseling; Housing Counseling Training; Consolidated Technical Assistance Program).
- US Department of Treasury (Community Development Financial Institution).
- US Department of Health & Human Services (Supplemental Services for Refugees; Services for Torture Survivors; Targeted Assistance Grant).
- US Department of Health & Human Services (Connecting Kids to Coverage).
- US Department of Labor (Welfare to Work for Homeless Persons).
- Maine Department of Education (21st Century Community Learning Center).
Helped staff and support a national, social enterprise scale-up initiative for homebuyer services:
- Consulted to NeighborWorks America’s Supportive Homeownership Pilot, Phases 2 & 3.
- Supported the application process that chose participating organizations in both phases.
- In Phase 2 served as Team Lead for the Service Expansion Innovation Team and was a member of the Project Management Team.
Supported grant-making initiatives for NeighborWorks America:
- National Foreclosure Mitigation Counseling Program (NFMC): Helped develop the Funding Announcement, Request for Proposals, Scoring Rubric, and Scoring Guide for the first three rounds, and helped plan and deliver reviewer trainings. Served as a grant reviewer for NFMC Rounds 4 – 10. To date over $802 million has been awarded nationally, assisting more than 2 million homeowners in 50 states.
- Financial Capability Pilot: Helped write the Application, Guide, and Scoring Rubric for the 2nd and 3rd rounds of this program. Scored the proposals and summarized all reviewers’ scores.
Helped nonprofits and communities respond to the foreclosure crisis in 2008-2013:
- For Enterprise Foundation & NeighborWorks® America, analyzed state and local government Action Plans and summarized best practices under the Congressionally appropriated $4 billion Neighborhood Stabilization Program. Co-authored a paper “The Challenge of Foreclosed Properties: An Analysis of State and Local Plans to use the Neighborhood Stabilization Program” that is posted on www.stablecommunities.org.
- Researched and wrote 10 case studies on responsible approaches to community stabilization in the wake of the foreclosure crisis. Resulting paper “Responsible Approaches to Neighborhood Stabilization: Case Studies in Action” is posted on www.stablecommunities.org.
- Under contract with Enterprise Community Partners currently provide Help Desk staffing for HUD’s $4 billion Neighborhood Stabilization Program, providing guidance to NSP grantees.
Researched and Wrote Papers Relating to Homelessness, Poverty, and Serving At-Risk Youth:
- Researched rural family homelessness in Maine, analyzed systems gaps, and recommended strategies for improving access to housing and services (for MaineHousing). See “Home to Stay: Helping Families Avoid or Recover from Homelessness in Maine’s Rural Areas” at www.mainehousing.org/docs.
- For YouthBuild USA researched and wrote “YouthBuild and Habitat for Humanity: A Guide for Local Collaboration”, to help local YouthBuild and Habitat for Humanity programs work together to build affordable housing and serve at-risk youth. Posted at http://www.youthbuild.org/